- Kilburn Park Road
- NW6 5XB
020 7624 1637
Known as the 'Cathedral of North London', S. Augustine’s has its roots in the 'Oxford' or 'Tractarian' Movement which began with a Sermon preached in 1833 by John Keble in the University Church of S. Mary the Virgin, Oxford. The movement placed a fresh emphasis on the Catholic heritage of the Church of England and its continuity with the pre-Reformation Church. Keble was joined by John Henry Newman, who later became a Roman Catholic, and Edward Bouverie Pusey who became the leader of the movement after Newman’s secession to Rome.
By the 1850s the Tractarians had gained a great deal of support in the inner city areas of London and began to be known as 'Ritualists' because of the ceremonial that was practised in their churches, eucharistic vestments and incense in particular. The term 'Puseyite', after Dr Pusey was also used.
This tradition, now well established in the Church of England, is usually referred to as Anglo-Catholicism. S. Augustine’s was one of a large number of Victorian churches built to witness to Tractarian or Anglo-Catholic ideals.